Welcome to St Mary's, East Worlington Top of Page

 History  Mission and Ministry  Services

History:  St Mary’s, East Worlington is a church of ancient foundation situated within the cluster of buildings which makes up East Worlington.
There was probably a Saxon place of worship on the site but the present church dates from Norman times.  The Morris Directory, 1870, refers to “Nave, chancel and tower containing 4 bells, and surmounted by a wooden spire.”  So the two villages of East and West Worlington would have complimented each other in this respect.  Unfortunately the church was allowed to fall into a state of dilapidĀ­ation and was rebuilt, by the generosity of its Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth, whose home was the now derelict Eggesford House, about 10 miles to the west. 

Professor Hoskins dismisses this action in a few words.  “The church,” he writes, “almost rebuilt in 1879 and spoilt.”  Elsewhere there was even a comment about the rebuilt tower resembling a municipal water tower.  But to the layman this may perhaps seem unduly brusque. The rebuilding was done not only with generosity, but with taste and restraint, resulting in an attractive little church, with the Norman arch still visible in the south porch.  There also remains a narrow little Norman window in the chancel.  The peal of bells underwent a complete refurbishment with the aid of a National Lottery grant in 2007. The Royal Arms (Charles II) indiĀ­cates that after the Restoration of the Monarchy (1660) East Worlington came back into the Royalist fold.  The 17th century Church House nearby is now part of the school, and the old tithebarn is the Parish Hall.

 

East and West Worlington remained separate districts and parishes until 1885, when they were united for civic purposes under the title of East Worlington, there being two livings held in plurality.  By an Order in Council dated 18th August 1919 the two benefices were united and the West Rectory was sold as a farm.  The living was put into abeyance in 1958, and the East Rectory also sold.  In 1967 the Worlingtons became part of a group ministry based on Witheridge including Thelbridge, Creacombe and Meshaw.  The group has now become a United Benefice ministered to by the Little Dart Team.

Top of Page

Mission and Ministry:  St Mary’s, East Worlington comes within the licence as incumbent of the Revd David Prescott, The Vicarage, Witheridge, Tiverton EX16 8AE Tel 01884 860768 who is supported by the East and West Worlington Local Ministry Team.  They are all members of the Little Dart Team Ministry; the group of churches served by this Team Ministry was commended as a Mission Community in 2010.

The Little Dart Team works within South Molton Deanery and Barnstaple Archdeaconry as part of the Diocese of Exeter.

For East and West Worlington Contact
:

  • Vicar: Adrian Wells
  • Email: vicaradrian@btinternet.com 
  • Phone: 01884 861383

Readers:         David Cain, Venn Farm, Kings Nympton, Umberleigh EX37 9TR
                        Christine Chandler, Chenson Farm, Chawleigh, Chulmleigh EX18 7LF
                        Yvonne Childs, Hope House, 6 The Square, Witheridge, EX16 8AE
                        Wendy Isaac, Waddington Farm, Chulmleigh EX18 7DU
                        Bryant Sanders, Glebe House, Kings Nympton, Umberleigh EX37 9SS
 
The Team Administrator is Paul Holmes, The Vestry, St Mary Magdalene, Chulmleigh EX18 7BR Tel: 01769 580259 littledartteamoffice@yahoo.co.uk 

Top of Page

Services:  In a normal month the service pattern within the parish of Worlington is:
 
1st Sunday:      11:15 am         Common Worship Holy Communion in St Mary’s, 
                                                                                                     East Worlington
2nd Sunday:     6:30 pm           Book of Common Prayer Evensong in St Mary’s, 
                                                                                                     West Worlington
                                                (Quarterly BCP Holy Communion in St Mary’s, 
                                                                                                     West Worlington)
3rd Sunday:     11:15 am         Informal CW Parish Service in St Mary’s, East Worlington
4th Sunday:     10:00 am         Common Worship Morning Prayer in St Mary’s, 
                                                                                                        West Worlington

Top of Page








Where are East and West Worlington? Map

Disclaimer: The Worlington Community Web Co-ordinator and the Editorial Team hold no responsiblity for the accuracy of the information on this website. The information provider is responsible for its accuracy and for checking that it is correctly repesented on the website. The Worlington Community Web Co-ordinator must be informed if any items of inaccuracy are identified on this website.

Community Web Kit provided free by BT